Photo by Melody

Wildlife: The Heidi Chronicles: They're Here at Last!, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: The Heidi Chronicles: They're Here at Last!

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The Heidi Chronicles:  They're Here at Last!
DreamOfSpring wrote:
Hi Ruth!

It's SO great to have you back! Years ago I got fed up with the appalling behavior of the cable company and told them to get their equipment out of my house and that I'd read a book before I'd put up with them one more day. Now I have satellite TV and DSL. I would probably prefer cable Internet connection but I love the satellite TV company - very customer friendly. However, with DSL as you likely know distance from the relay station makes a big difference. For me this is not an issue.

I can't tell you how happy I am to see Heidi looking so healthy. For a while there I was preparing for the worse. Heidi has such excellent eating habits. I wonder if that might also help to keep her young. Last night when everyone else was scarfing down every marshmallow they could get, Heidi refused to take even a bite. Although she has a few indulgences (like nectar) Heidi rarely eats anything except dog/cat food, eggs, peanuts, and the occasional grape and a bit of yogurt.

When I first saw the kits playing with the toys, I knew that I was seeing something very special, something few people get to see. That pool just keeps on giving and giving. Now it's a playpen to keep the kits corralled while Heidi eats. I've added a number of additional toys to the pool. It seems as though Heidi is bringing them back in the wee hours of the night/morning just to play. Most mornings I find the toys scattered all about the lawn area around the pool. (BTW, I envy you the opportunity to handle and play with the orphan babies in rehab.)

Glad you had a chance to view the latest closeup of HRH's wound. My biggest concern now is that although it does appear to be healing quite nicely, it looks like the raw edges of his mouth wound are healing separately but (lacking stitches to hold them together) are not mending back together. I guess he can get by with that though. I haven't seen him in several days so he may be gone (for now).

Remember when we were concerned about how things would work out with so many other adults around this year? Lately only Juliet is allowed out when Heidi is there. Diva has sneaked around the side once or twice but mostly comes after Heidi leaves. Fraidy sneaks out when Heidi is gone. HRH shows up then too. The others appear to be gone. I'm feeling better about the population issues now.

Juliet's behavior around the kits is the most incredible thing. If Juliet is eating from the dish by the "sandbox" when Heidi's kits arrive, she will quickly leave the dish to them. Even if the kits walk up to Juliet while she is eating, she doesn't even dare growl at them. Lately, she runs from them - as if in fear that she will get into trouble for being too close to them. Even Diva did not snarl at the kit that stuck his nose up to her the other day when she was in the pool. Yes, Heidi has things very well in hand. We worried for nothing. No one has the nerve to mess with Heidi's babies.

About that tail myth, it's just as well since in some photos (not yet posted) the kits' tails are as big as they are. I was getting concerned that they might be too fat. LOL.

When I called the local health department, I was ready to schedule my rabies vaccine that very day. I was shocked to hear they don't do it anymore. In my pursuit of answers for my recent health issues, I changed doctors. My new doctor came highly recommended. Her practice is in a very high end area on one of the barrier islands. I meant to ask her if she could get the vaccine for me, but by the time I got there I was in terrible shape. Staying awake - and alive - suddenly took precedence. She's still titrating my dosage, etc. I have to go back in a few weeks and will ask her then.

(Thanks, Ruth)

This is my photo of the day. I call it "Like Mother, Like Daughter". Check out the extent to which the kit is emulating the parent, in this case Diva.