Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 13, 1 by debnes_dfw_tx

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright debnes_dfw_tx

In reply to: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 13

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 13
debnes_dfw_tx wrote:
Awesome info Linda.. I haven't been successful with glass anyway.. The silk scrapes so easy from the gladwares. Great numbers on the Monarchs! If I could get some more TST cats I would raise them in gladware for sure. If they pupate on the fabric I can just safety pin the fabrics inside the big mesh hamper after they've hardened. You're having such a good year! :-)(YAY!)

Lucy~ Sheila told ya right, the Chalcids can and will get through tulle. They will penitrate the smallest crevasse. Their lives depend on them getitng into a chrysalis. The Chiffon fabric is cheap and works great. It does ravel because it is a wovewn fabric, so I just use it on the plastic containers. It's thin enough for the cut out lids not to buckle too.

How sweet Lily.. Cori entertaining the HBMoths, :-)

I collected over a dozen Monarch eggs yesterday and with Jackie's help today. Just as the last dozen have practically all pupated. Great timing for them, we have cage vacancies, LOL!

Now for my biggest news..
A female Sulphur came through and began ovipositing all over the Cassia alata!!! Yes after all these years of inviting them and being stood up. they have arrived! Now I have to get out there and collect them all and set them up. I should have plenty of leaves bc the Cassia is almost 5' tall now. I will remove leaves from the bottom to feed them in a few days when they hatch.

This week I released a total of 20 BSTs ... I am havng to create a system to keep up with all the species, and this is a good thing. I bought one of those 6 bin wire units for placing the small gladwares in. A slot for each, except the ones I am raising in larger gages together.
So much to do before I rest tonight.

:-D