Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Passion Flowers and/or Maypops! Let's see yours?!?, 1 by Maydreams27

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Maydreams27

In reply to: Passion Flowers and/or Maypops! Let's see yours?!?

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Passion Flowers and/or Maypops!  Let's see yours?!?
Maydreams27 wrote:
Tabasco,

First of all welcome!! Did you see I am trying to start a passiflora forum in DG? Please vote with us??

next...you ask "are all red ones toxic as a host plant?" I wil tell you that I had a huge plant growing in the yard. Finally it bloomed and found out they were reds. beghind hiding in the corner was a little tiny pitiful purple passi. The butterflis would fly past the huge one and ONLY lay eggs on the purple. After a whole season of this happening, I ripped out the entire red one and planted a blue one. they ate that one something fierce also.

And any scientific evidence to suport this toxic assertion or is all info basically hear-say?!? (I saw a gorgeous pic of "Lady Margaret" and it looks red yet some say it's fine for BFs.) I just got a new one and it finally bloomed and it is a lady margaret. I did find fritillary babies on it and they ate it so I think that one will be fine. i do notice the leaves are tougher for them but they do eat it.

About your 'Maypop', if there are no butterflies in your area that were Born and hosted on a Maypop, they won;t usually lay eggs on them from what i hear. they lay on the same type they were born on.

Ina pot and overwintering for Zone 6a I am a 9A zone so I keep mine outside all year. I do hear of alot of DG people say they overwinter theres inside the house or garage.

Let me post my newest Lady MArgaret