Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 13, 1 by debnes_dfw_tx

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright debnes_dfw_tx

In reply to: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 13

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 13
debnes_dfw_tx wrote:
Hi Thea!
Your welcome to post anything here.. It's a daily for everyone!
There were a couple of brown ones in my bunch not to worry on color. BSTs take about 8-10 days. Relocating them wasn't hard because I use smaller "quick & easy" cages for them. (I have a thread about the cages). The silk peels right off the plastic, and if they pupate on the fabric of the cut-out lid, I just pin the fabric into the big cage. I had lost about a dozen to a tiny Chalcid Wasp, and I was bound and determined to make them safer, and it worked. This week I have released 18 healthy BSTs.
Chris~ If the BSTs you want/need to relocate them, and are able to get all the silk it might attach to the hook side of the velcro. I havn't tried this, but the silk is pretty sticky and it might work.

For sure Cat~ The first Queen I ever saw was on Tx Mist...your pic is amazing, even with the blur.

Suzy~ So cool you're getting lots of butterflies!! Yaay!! Your BST is a male btw.. They have a extra yellow bar on their wings the female doesn't have. He is a beauty! Here is a female: http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3839016

My camera is outside... when I upload the pics later I will post some more.

:-Deb

Hummer..making like the branch is a tightrope, lol.>