Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Double Yellow Datura blooming, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Double Yellow Datura blooming

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Double Yellow Datura blooming
Gitagal wrote:
Holly,

WOW!!!! Your yellows are just awesome!!!!! Did you feed yours with anything? What? I am lazy about fertilizing. I hate that about myself. I spend all kinds of time and money in the Spring, and then when the dog days of Summer come, It all goes to the dogs....:o(

They are annuals. You will have to let the big seed pods ripen and pick them in the fall. Wait until they are starting to dry up and are showing signs of splitting, then pick them. Remember!!!! All parts of the Datura are toxic!!!! Wash hands often.

I read somewhere, recently, that sometimes these pods can pop open so fast that they literally "spit" the seeds out. To avoid losing the seeds, put a piece of old nylon stocking around the growing pods and fasten it shut behind the pod. Allow a lot of slack as they grow. This will also keep all kinds of bugs out that make their way inside the pods and eat the seeds--like Earwigs.

I am so happy that yours are doing well. EVERY seed I planted (of this Datura) came up in the Spring. I hope I get a lot of seed pods from my double purple/white ones. Did not last year. I put them out too late and the seed pods never matured.

Here is a picture of the purple/white Metel one.

Gita