Photo by Melody

Rural Gardening: Masacre at the farm..only one survivor. , 1 by fleursdefouquet

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright fleursdefouquet

In reply to: Masacre at the farm..only one survivor.

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Masacre at the farm..only one survivor.
fleursdefouquet wrote:
mcamden, congrats on getting that badger! Geez that's a mean looking creature. You and your fiance' should be commended for your dedication to catching that thing. Great website - enjoyed all your videos and photos.

My heart went out to you when I first found your thread. We've only had our roosters about 2 weeks but I've already become so attached to them. They follow me around like puppy dogs and eat meal worms from a spoon. We are 'city folks' who moved to the country 4 years ago and have never had chickens before. Our tick problem was so bad this year we wanted guineas or chickens to eat them. A friend had extra roosters and gave us 4 (yeah, I've already figured out roosters are given away for good reason and we will eventually have a problem on our hands......think I'll start a thread for some advice on that subject!). We do not have a coop of any kind yet - they are 100% free range now - hope to start one this weekend. We lost one on their second night but the other three have been doing very well. We thought they were roosting in the trees but discovered they had taken to roosting in my flower baskets on the front entry under the gas lamps. They have ruined my flowers and we have to hose off the porch every morning but, until we build them a coop, I will let them stay there where it's safer. We have fox, raccoons, skunks, hawks, rats, snakes, dogs, coyotes.......plenty of predators.

Good luck with your coop improvements and locating more chickens.

Debra