Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: first attempt at growing hibiscus from seed, 1 by starlight1153

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright starlight1153

In reply to: first attempt at growing hibiscus from seed

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of first attempt at growing hibiscus from seed
starlight1153 wrote:
LOL Janet.. Gues s today is a day for my brain to jump around from oen subject to another.

Many years ago when I first started hybridizing Daylilies, I had gotten alot of seedlings that came up that were pure white. They would grow so tall and croak. I foudn out that they are called albino's. The leave s have no way to manufacture chlorphyl and so as soon as all the nutrient s in the seed are used up the plant dies. It a genetic mes s up where the crosses didn't take.

Thes e few seeds are pure white and look like tiny grains of salt with no hard seed coat over them they are also soft to the touch. If they germinate it may be that they wil grow up for alittle be to be albino's or even mutants.

About a year ago, I was experimentign with trying to make some really od d crosses. Things from one type plant family crossed with another type plant family. Usually the odds are the seeds won't even develop, but on another forum I foudn out that sometime s when you have special crosse s liek that, if you can catch the pod before it aborts usually within a like 7 day period from fertilization, you can sometime s take thos e immature seeds , put them on a special agar liek they use in them micropropagation tubes and try and grow out those seeds. Usually they die, but every onc ein awhile somebody wil have oen take and have themselves a new cultivar, of cours e it can nevr be use d for seed production , only for cuttings.

here a friend's pic of an albino seedling. I got rid of all my albino pics years back after I foudn out abotu them and watche d them croak.

Hey Mike that the best school there is. : ) A lot of my friend s think I crazy cuz I always tryign to think oputside the box, but how ya evr gonna learn if ya don't experiment or giv e the weird or impossable a try. : ) I fail more than I pass, but I always learn somethign new from each crazy experiment. ( Like don't do that again) LOL

Janet your pink is really beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! You got apic of your yellow by any chance? I never seen a yellow one before. Sounds cool!!!!