Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Michigan Gardening: T.C. yard seeking homeless perennials, 1 by serenaski

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright serenaski

Subject: T.C. yard seeking homeless perennials

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of T.C. yard seeking homeless perennials
serenaski wrote:
I moved to a completely bare nearly devistated lot three and a half years ago. Several loads of dirt, many bags of manure, grass seed, inexpensive roses, cast off iris's and lots of labor later I still have many areas that need plants. The yard is nearly perfect for having sun and part sun exposure almost everywhere except in the northeast corner of the house itself. After first moving in a friend was needing to thin out their iris garden, and was happier to give them to a good home than throw them away. Recently nieghbors of mine got big clups of hostas sitting by the road that had been dug up from a yard that needed thinning. So after that long winded set-up, I am very willing to help with the digging if there is anyone in Traverse City that has mature plants that need dividing or disposal. Obviously I am not looking for anything rare or exotic, but would appreciate any of the following that someone may be intending to throw away:
Hostas, ferns, lily of the valley, toad lilies or other shade lovers for my NE corner and under the maple trees

Rugosa, bush, rambling, or climbing, antique type roses; honeysucle, trumpet vine, lilacs, any flowering perennials for my SE corner.

Daylilies, myrtle, or any thing that can be planted on the side of a steepish hill that gets partial sun graduated to mostly shade, this is because I am unable to mow the hill.

Mostly I am looking for easy care perennials that many serious garners would consider junk plants because they grow so well and spread. This request goes out at the risk of sounding cheap but I really don't have anything that is established enough to trade because I started from scratch only a few years ago with little money.
Anyway thanks to anyone who has suggestions on inexpensive or free ways to landscape.
Serena