Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: first attempt at growing hibiscus from seed, 1 by starlight1153

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright starlight1153

In reply to: first attempt at growing hibiscus from seed

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of first attempt at growing hibiscus from seed
starlight1153 wrote:
Kim... What an interesting vine. Found your thread. Is all that water aound and touching your property. If so I wonder that you haven't put a pump in and used some of that lake as supplimental water. I haven't forgotten your plans, I am stil without wheels and the person who was giving me rides has a broke car too that in the shop. I have no way to get to a copy machine, but had a idea that maybe I can draw it and write the directions down for ya. At least I cna get a letter in the mail if that would help.

Mike. Sure do have a confederate ros e for ya. They orginally came from Carolyn. To me she is a " woody Queen" LOL Give her a stick and off to town she goes with it. : )

Here anothe r hibiscus that she sent me a roote d cutting of. I thought it was gonan be a white as the blooms all peeke d out a s white but about halfway out they started turning a light pink and yesterday the bloom almost completely out was a darker shade of pink. This is what the first bloom on it today looke d like. It a beautiful shade of pink with a red eye and almost 9" across.

I do have a question if somebody can answer it. On the Luna white and now this pink ( cuz I selfed the bloom this morning : ) ) how can I tell when the seed pods are ready to be picked. Neve r havign this type before to a pod stage I don't know what I am looking for.

About how long doe s it take for the pods to mature? Will they still be green or brown or some shade in between. Will I need to put a piece of stockign over them to catch the seeds if the pods are the type that just explode when your not looking?