Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses: Getting moss mania!, 1 by runktrun

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright runktrun

In reply to: Getting moss mania!

Forum: Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Getting moss mania!
runktrun wrote:
Thank you everyone for the very kind words.
Lono,
I too was hesitant to use the netting until this past weekend in a very short period of time some cat birds (robins can be a real problem too) came and ripped up, tossed, and shredded every piece of moss. Monday it took me hours to try and replant and repair the damage and in the hour or two I was out buying the netting the birds returned and ripped up the garden all over again. But honestly it is very difficult to see the netting in the shade I will take a photo to show you when it stops raining. I just had my soil tested at the Univ. of Mass and the ph is 4.4 I would strongly consider amending your soil as moisture and acidity seem to be the primary criteria for success. I do not believe moss is as sensitive to acidity/alkalinity as lichens are but during a recent work shop on lichens I learned that not all lichens will grow on all rocks as rocks leach different levels of acidity. Examples of different stone/lichen compatibility are very evident in grave yards ( I decided that I would never want a grave .stone with pink over tones where yellow/gold lichens grow blechhh). I am not sure that an acidic mulch would acidify your soil enough, the fellow at Moss Acres seems to be very approachable I would consider contacting him for advice on your ph.

Bonitin,
Those little white flowers are Leucanthemum vulgare (oxeye daisy), they are very common and for me have become quite a pest, as a matter of fact that entire mound/berm is actually kitchen garbage (flatware, cups, plates, bowls, ect) left behind by the Navy after WWII. It is over grown with every invasive species in my area and it has become quite a problem being so close to the moss garden. I don’t want to take away from Lono’s thread and will post about that another time.

Cpartsshick,
My friend is Basil he is always at my side and somehow worms his way into most photo’s I try to take of plants. Don’t let his cute face fool you his latest trick this year is to tip toe over to the neighbors when I am not looking steal a toy, tip toe back and bury it some where in one of my gardens. I have unearthed at least a dozen dolls and stuffed animals…..yes I have become that neighbor folks love to hate and write scathing threads about. kt

Photo of red moss Doubtful Sound new Zealand