Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Round Robin time again!, 1 by melody

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright melody

Subject: Round Robin time again!

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Round Robin time again!
melody wrote:
Yep,it's time for the annual Tomato Seed Round Robin Extravaganza! All of you out there anxiously awaiting this milestone in our gardening year can now quit holding your breath. The time is now upon us!

Get in line and sign up! I'll be sending out the RR package to the Southern folks first and gradually make our way West and North. Come One and All!!

Please use this thread to sign up on,or email me. I'll be keeping a list and will start sorting names shortly. I have all of the information from last year and I'll make sure that everyone gets shuffled around ,so you don't have the same spot as last year.

Even if you only have seeds for one variety and would like to participate...jump in!The way my RR works,you can still do this.

Here are the RULES
Please read them and plan accordingly.

1. Only Open Pollinated(OP) or Heirloom seed allowed.Hybrid seeds won't grow true..or are sterile.Sorry folks...that's just the way it works. That means grocery store tomatoes that you have saved seed from won't work.They are hybrids for the most part.If you don't know what you have,email me and we'll try to find out.

2.When the package arrives,sort through the seeds and take out what you want...BUT,you must replace the amount of packages with as many as you took. One for one...two for two..etc. And don't take 5 different packages and replace them with 5 packages of the same variety...Big no-no..and no fun for the next person.

3.At least 25 seeds per envelope or bag,and make each packet trading sized.Don't put all of your seeds in one envelope if you are generously putting extras in(which is allowed)
Please put the name of the variety on the package and your name on the package...very important.This lets everyone tell at a glance who and what this package is about.

3.There will be a paper inside for you to list what you took and what you put in.This lets everyone down the line know who got what for future trading. Also,there will be enough room for you to add comments and/or history,so we can all get a little Tomato education.If you wish,you can make your own list to include and have it ready to go when the RR arrives.

4.Please try to forward the package along in a timely manner.We had 17 participants last year and it took well into Spring for it to get back to me.I had plants up with two sets of leaves before it landed.If you have troubles...or a crisis....it's ok..but don't let it hang around just because you haven't had time to get to it. I think 4 days should be a good guidline to follow,providing no floods,fires,hurricanes or earthquakes get in the way.

5.When you get the RR,email me or post here.We will have several participants from other lists and that's ok...as long as I can keep track of where it is.

6.Fermented seeds only.This keeps everyone reasonably safe from getting any diseases from someone elses seed. If you don't know how to do this,there are several threads and also instructions in Garden Terms.

Let's have fun folks!!! Last year 84 different varieties changed hands.That's another reason for listing everything.The records of each RR are so fun to go back over.I have a list of everything...and some were multiples...there were 84 _different_ varieties!
Let's top that this year!