Photo by Melody
Announcements
The Pixel County Fair is now open for entries! You have until September 11th to upload your crafts, animals and gardens HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Hollys House, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Hollys House

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hollys House
Gitagal wrote:
Just a few comments. For once I will keep it short?????

Critter:
Caladiums make excellent Houseplants. Bright, filtered light is the perfect setting.

Holly,
Caladiums do not germinate until the temperature is steadily in the high 80's or 90"s. You can start them earlier in the house if you provide bottom heat. If you are only doing 2-3 pots, put them on top of your water heater. Light is not important at this stage.

If you plant your Caladiums outside in, say, Mid-may, they will just sit there and won't break ground until the soil really warms up. So--don't give up! Mine just came up a couple of weeks ago.

Also--you may want to plant a perennial Camellia against your house. It will do well in shade as long as it is protected from the blustery winds of winter. I have had one in front of my house for many years and it is doing beautifully. It never gets any sun, but it is sheltered from the winds by two big bushes on either side of my front steps. Every Spring it dazzles me. I will post a picture below.
Make sure the one you buy IS perennial. Not all of them are.
You are zone 6b???? Maybe that would be too cold for a Camellia???? I think MD is borderline. Oh, well. it was a good idea.
The leaves on a Camellia are evergreen and shiny as all get out. It grows only about 5' tall and is perfect for small spaces.

Gita