Photo by Melody
Announcements
The Pixel County Fair is now open for entries! You have until September 11th to upload your crafts, animals and gardens HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Hollys House, 1 by HollyAnnS

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HollyAnnS

In reply to: Hollys House

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hollys House
HollyAnnS wrote:
Some very good ideas. Lets see. Originally I only planted this bed with Inpatients, stuffed full and it really looked nice for a couple of months every year. When the window boxes get going that really looks nice but only for those couple of months.
Critter, I have often thought that a few tall thin evergreens is just what that spot needs but I always believed that I could not plant them since the bed is raised and worried about snow damage those tall thin plants get. Now I am rethinking maybe the 4ft bed is wide enough to protect the roots and that bed does get a lot of protection from wind and snow, possibly enough to plant those types that I have stayed away from.
Claypa, I thought about the T-111 too, After I had beautiful pictures of climbing hydrangeas dancing in my head. Especially since we are going to be staining it this summer, very soon. You're right it is protected so it doesn't need to be stained near as often as the barn but we do have to stain it about every 5 years. I worry about the dirt being close to the base of the T-111 too and always watch and check for nasties. I love your move the wall idea. But I'm thinking leave the wall and add another shorter one in front and then another ground level bed. I could put a lot of curved lines and multilevel beds to bring it down and out to stone or brick paths leading thru the arch and around the end of the L to the lower yard. Thanks so much you guys are giving me such great ideas.
Here is a shot looking down into that whole area you can see the pines that edge the other side. This wasted grassy area is about 30 X 40 feet