European Gardening: Rhubarb leaf bird bath, 1 by bonitin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bonitin

In reply to: Rhubarb leaf bird bath

Forum: European Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Rhubarb leaf bird bath
bonitin wrote:
Zest, I find your fountain fantastic; comes like straight out from a fairy tale! Perhaps it is not fit as a birdbath but it is a nice garden sculpture!
Please don't keep your mouth shut and feel free to ask whatever is still not clear! I am very glad to be of help and my purpose is to promote drinking and bathing places for our dear friends; the birds.

The depth of my plates varies from 7 to 8 cm in the centre, this is for the big ones with a diameter of 100 to 110 cm; this of course diminishes gradually towards the sides, where it arrives to a bird-friendly bathing depth.

Perhaps the reason that yours leaks could be that there is a crack in it from the frost of last winter, the crack doesn't need to be big to make it leak. If so it is still possible to seal it on the underside with some silicone. For that reason I use chicken wire for better resistance to frost damage.

In my own garden I only have a smaller version of the birdbath fountain, because the big one would be out of proportion with the small size of my garden.

Look how they enjoy it!! The picture is blurry because my camera is not really suited for taking pictures of moving objects in the distance.