Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Dahlias: Time for the dahlia dance!!!!!, 1 by jamlover

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamlover

In reply to: Time for the dahlia dance!!!!!

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Time for the dahlia dance!!!!!
jamlover wrote:
Yes, I can feel her pain just a little. As a kid you would hire out for the day to walk the fields and pick up rock in the spring before it was planted. Even allowed a day out of country school for this money making project!!! What a quarter couldn't make happen then!! LOL The farmer pulled what was called a stone bolt? behind the horse to roll the rocks onto; but these were in the 5 pound and up size. The fun happened when someone spotted a 2 footer over half buried and everyone dug to free it, then pushed, with the farmer's help, to get it loaded!! In those days 'work' was made into fun!!

Course then we advanced in the early fifties to taking a tractor with a loader bucket along to pick up. Just a cinch, get it full and drive to the nearest fench-row and dump your happy finds. (I've scavengered many a rock pile along a field for a pretty rock, but most are just rocks)

WOW Nadine, your yard looks so beautiful and restful. Mine always has "farm sounds" ___both natural and man-made to make it seem like a spot of continual activity. I'm jealous!! And what a great potting shed. Mine is the old garage that was in to good of shape to be demolished when we built our home in the 70's and now no wind will take it___everything else could go___but it will stand!! So, when you have a lemon, you make lemonade, although the size is a little much for potting!! Yours is perfect!!

Shot taken standing on my front porch. Have considered having the cement driveway have an accident along the edge___caused by a maul__but he's not quit that mellow yet; I'd grow morning glories on this side. Nature seems to be thinking in the same vein 'cause the edge is breaking up a bit along the old building but hunt as I did, I can't find my Grampa Ott morning glory seed this spring.