Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Dahlias: Time for the dahlia dance!!!!!, 1 by jamlover

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamlover

In reply to: Time for the dahlia dance!!!!!

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Time for the dahlia dance!!!!!
jamlover wrote:
Ho, ho, hoe___ yes I finally am getting around to mulching my direct plant tubers today and guess what? One of the Karmas is in early bud!! And this is not one of those early minny-halfpints. This will eventually be a 4' plant. Right now it's about a foot. Don't know what got into it. (Probably the fear of being shamed by a Wisconsin gardener who is already boasting of buds)

It appears I have two 'no-shows' from those direct plant subjects. I was doing them on May 6, watching hubby plant his corn nice and close over on the hillside as I worked. (Got to get a good crop of rootworm beatles on the way you know to keep the summer interesting. Anyway, I plan to keep good records of the progress of these compared to all my potted tubers. My grandmother always planted her cannas and dahlias sometime near the last 10 days of April. Never started any of them earlier. Here they take about 3 weeks to show their face above ground and all is usually settled weather-wise by then. Well, here is part of stake city 2007, finally ready for mulch.