Photo by Melody

Northeast Gardening: Help me before I shop again..., 1 by plymouthgarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright plymouthgarden

In reply to: Help me before I shop again...

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Help me before I shop again...
plymouthgarden wrote:
Hi All - Thanks for the notes about our trees - they are awesome! Those trees are about 80' tall and several hundred years - there are 4. We are very lucky to be alive right now, and enjoy them in their dotage - so plant shade trees right now for your great-grandchildren to enjoy! Our house was built right next to them (on purpose) in the 1960s. Many people who saw our house and the nearness of the trees asked us if we were (gasp) going to take them down!!! GOODNESS NO!

Victor - All the dogwoods I have are Kousas - they are babies (now about 4' tall all of them) of my neighbors very old kousas. None have bloomed yet, but they are not old enough. And oops, I forgot to mention hydrangeas - oak leaf is my favorite - also have a row of lace-cap too. Is the Alternifolia you mentioned a Cornus? I covet Cornus Controversa Variegata - my mom has a 20' tall one in her yard. It's absolutely gorgeous. And yes, the Heptacodium has really dazzled me this year. It's only the 2nd year in - and the leaves this spring are 5" - it's full and happy. I'm actually thinking of getting a 2nd one - the local nursery (where I got mine last year) have them this year - they are 12' tall! Such a great bang for your buck there....

This is one of the Kousa babies - it's the biggest one - almost 5' tall. Love it!

So many things, so little money!

Kara