Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: I guess I have to "import" the Gulf Fritillaries, 1 by TexasPuddyPrint

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TexasPuddyPrint

In reply to: I guess I have to "import" the Gulf Fritillaries

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I guess I have to "import" the Gulf Fritillaries
TexasPuddyPrint wrote:
Becky,

Whoa...that is huge...looks very much like one I have here that literally takes over the west side of the house...but alas, no frits or longwings have ever used it.

What kind is your...the leaves and their size look so much like mine...and yes, he leaves on this one grow bigger than my hand too. They are very thick too. The trunk is about 2 or 3 inches in diameter and I've only had it a couple of years. Have to drastically prune it down each year...and have seriously thinking of digging it out and taking it to the ranch since the butterflies haven't used it...but am giving it one more fall season.

Guess if you have to prune yours you can always toss all the cuttings on the ground and throw some soil on top of them and pray for some of those 'come what may, let's hope they root' cuttings :o)

I know it pained me to cut mine back and waste so many good cuttings but they were just too many to deal with.

~ Cat

this is a photo of the blooms from mine...

This message was edited May 27, 2007 6:52 AM