Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: I guess I have to "import" the Gulf Fritillaries, 1 by beckygardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright beckygardener

In reply to: I guess I have to "import" the Gulf Fritillaries

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I guess I have to "import" the Gulf Fritillaries
beckygardener wrote:
Cat - I really don't think it's the heat. I had a lot of GF last year during the dog days of summer. And believe me ..... it gets very hot here!

I have to prune my PV because they are HUGE again ...... even after pruning them back to the ground a couple months ago. I don't know about the rest of you ..... but the leaves on my vines are about the size of a man's hand! Seriously! They are LARGE leaves and the vine seems to grow 4-6 inches overnight. I am not doing anything to these vines. Not even fertilizing them. If some GF would come, they could raise several generations here in my backyard and still have PV left! I am serious! It's frustrating!!! :-/ (I feel the same way about the hummers too! I have plenty of nectar plants that they would like, but nary a single bird in sight! lol)

This is a photo taken the last day of March. It is twice as thick now. These vines were pruned to the ground in early February.