Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: I guess I have to "import" the Gulf Fritillaries, 1 by beckygardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright beckygardener

Subject: I guess I have to "import" the Gulf Fritillaries

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I guess I have to "import" the Gulf Fritillaries
beckygardener wrote:
I grabbed 20+ GF cats from school about a week ago. They completely devoured the lone Passion vine that we had, so the cats ran out of food. I was collecting them as I could find them and brought them home with me. My side fence is already covered in Maypop/Passion vines and I've rarely seen any GFs this Spring in my yard.

The caged GF cats chowed down on MY nice, healthy, green, tasty Passion vine leaves and morphed into chrysalises. I have 21 with one cat still to go. And it looks like I am going to have to prune the dang PV. Now that beats it all!!! Where are all the GF cats that should be on these vines???? Not a clue, but you can bet I will be watching for cats after I release all the butterflies into my yard.

This sure has me stumped. I haven't seen any Zebra Longwings yet either. Rather perplexing, if I might say so. It really gets me .... that I have to prune those vines already and it isn't even summer. (sigh) What a waste of good host leaves. (sheesh!)