Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: A place to show off your new additions, and spring changes!, 1 by claypa

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright claypa

In reply to: A place to show off your new additions, and spring changes!

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of A place to show off your new additions, and spring changes!
claypa wrote:
I think there was a lot of 'terra-forming' / grading with bulldozers here in the mid seventies. The basements in new houses in the area are dynamited, and dumping the loose rock in the nearest low spot seems to be the practice. Some of it gets trucked off though.
So it's anybody's guess whether a yard will have decent soil, or some engineered, compacted mass that only an oak or maple will have a chance of growing in. I look at the road cuts nearby and there's usually a couple feet of soil on top of this brittle shale ledge stuff. It's a nice color though... lots of Main Line Philly 'burbs have this rock ground up in their driveways.
I'm kind of surprised HollyAnnS's looks so similar, another DG'er who lives much closer has very different stone, from what I could see anyway.
Thanks for the comment about the lawn, but I think it may look better in pictures than real life. I get out there with a knife and remove the perennial weeds as best as I can, and I don't worry too much about the early spring annual weeds. I have lots of violets in the lawn, they really don't bother me.
Here's a new addition almost fully bloomed, Allium schubertii. I thought the Asiatic lily foliage looked really nice.