Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Bug holes on leaves of Nellie R Stevens Holly, 1 by TravelswCharlie

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TravelswCharlie

Subject: Bug holes on leaves of Nellie R Stevens Holly

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bug holes on leaves of Nellie R Stevens Holly
TravelswCharlie wrote:
I chose Nellie R Stevens Holly partly because I'd read that it is almost pest-free... but it's not working out that way.

Can someone help me find what is eating holes in the leaves of my Nellie R Stevens Hollies at my Richardson, Texas home?

They were planted from 5-gal containers last October as a hedge around my back yard (about 25 plants), and they are growing very nicely... but something besides me finds them attractive.

All the tender new leaves have holes in them. while the older hard green leaves seem almost untouched.

I can't find any bugs.

I guess that should be my first question... what's the best way to find the bugs?

I have searched this forum without finding anything that sounds like it.

I've also done a Google search on the Internet and found a reference that said that aphids sometimes infest the tender leaves, but don't eat the hard glossy leaves.

That's what this bug is doing. But aphids wouldn't eat holes like this would they? These aren't "pin holes", but are maybe 1/8" in diameter.

Can anyone help?

Thanks so much for any advice.

CJ