Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

European Gardening: Birds in the garden Part 2., 1 by wallaby1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wallaby1

In reply to: Birds in the garden Part 2.

Forum: European Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Birds in the garden Part 2.
wallaby1 wrote:
Don't you just love those blackbirds when they scratch about, mine only scratch off leaves when they are still on the garden. Compsot is great stuff but it has worms which attract the moles too! We have had light showers yesterday and more today, tonight it started again, looks like the plants won't shrivel up after all. The birds were out in the rain, I saw a mistle thrush grab a snail, I guess it's been hard on the snails too!

Straypuss must have been around for well over 2 years, how time goes. He was very nervous, very hungry and a stick on legs. It didn't take long for me to be able to stroke him although it took a long time before he would allow me to touch him unless he was getting food. He has often needed strokes so he could eat, a top cat permission ritual. He's been is some battles and survived but I think he hasn't many lives left.

After the grass had been mowed this afternoon a pair of thrushes landed, one of them I think the male had it's head tilted like the black bird, listening. I wondered if the mowing might normally bring worms to the surface, as rain does, and they have learned this. When they both took off another one went from behind a bed, must have been their young.