Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Wacky Slug Control Attempts, 1 by spidra

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright spidra

Subject: Wacky Slug Control Attempts

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Wacky Slug Control Attempts
spidra wrote:
I remember when I posted one of my first posts on DG, someone asked if I had trouble growing strawberries because of slugs and snails. I replied that for some mysterious reason, they weren't much of a problem for me. I spoke too soon! They weren't a problem last year or the year before but are here in force now. Because I got spoiled and thought I had just been blessed, I didn't do the preventative work that might have helped (although I didn't know all the preventative steps I now know.

I just went out in the yard and was disgusted at how many promising Diamante strawberries they'd spoiled so I went online to see what I could do without having to go to the nursery to buy poison. This article suggested that high amounts of caffeine would kill them.

http://westernfarmpress.com/mag/farming_slug_control_needed/

So I went to the corner liquor store. The only other time I've bought anything to "drink" there was when I bought beer to kill slugs! Heh. My neighborhood is semi-ghetto so I think they guys think it's funny that I come in there to buy booze and Rockstar Energy Drink for the slugs in my garden. (Actually, they're Eritrean and although their English is pretty good, they haven't been living pastoral enough a life here to have learned the word "slug".)