Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DaleTheGardener

In reply to: Silk Floss Tree seeds

Forum: European Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Silk Floss Tree seeds
DaleTheGardener wrote:
Mike,

Since you deal with seeds on a regular basis, especially ones that most folks would consider 'rare' I am wondering if you have any research tips for me. I am trying to find out how to grow Lupinus diffusus from seed. It is a uncommon native from the SE section of the USA. I suspect that it germinates at cool temps. We don't have much rain here in the fall/winter season in central FL, which may explain why I have only found one colony and most of the plants look to be the same age. We have very few years when the fall is wet. Further north the rain is more consistent and this plant is more common.

I find Plant Piles to be very little help.

I have been checking on this group of plants every 10 days for 2 months to make sure I get some of the seed, the plants are 70 miles to the SE of my home, so it was a very lenghty process. It paid off this last Sunday and I am now the proud owner of several hundred drying seed pods. I will have at least a 1,000 seeds (or trade beads as I like to call them). If you are interested I can send some.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2746/index.html