Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Bare Beds of Spring will soon leap to life!, 1 by lincolnitess

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lincolnitess

Subject: Bare Beds of Spring will soon leap to life!

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bare Beds of Spring will soon leap to life!
lincolnitess wrote:
This morning, I planted my first Spring bed. As bare as it looks now, I know it will be bursting with color in a few months. The only new perennials I added were 3 'Spring Magic' Blue and White Aquilegia. They only grow 14" tall. In front of them, I planted a few Super Elfin Violet Impatiens. There is also a taller Barlow Blue Aquilegia behind them that has been there for a couple years. On the side of the bed that gets more sun, I used Babylon Blue verbena and some white alyssum as edging plants. Most of the front beds are edged with these same 2 annuals. That's about as close as I come to continuity and repetition in the garden. Of course a few other things manage to get along the edges too. I also planted some winter sown Chinese Delphiniums towards the back. Hope these will do OK in this location. I've grown them before, but never in the front garden. Mary Collier Fisher and Destined to See are the two daylilies. I took out a large daylily clump from the middle last fall that I think will be replaced by Lavender Heart Throb. Still waiting for it to arrive. I also planted some small bulbs of Sarabande lilies towards the back last fall. So far, they are not growing, but I'm sure hoping they made it through the winter. I'll post more photos and the bed changes over the seasons.

Susan