Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: What's everyone up to this week?, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: What's everyone up to this week?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What's everyone up to this week?
Gitagal wrote:
Hart,

Just how far is the Swap from Baltimore ? I have never been to a swap. Don't know if I would have anything much to swap that late in the season anyway.

June is hard for me as I have a HUGE cookout every year at the end of June. This year will be 12 years and going. I hold my famous "Summer Solstice Party/Cook Out. It is for this Group I belong to. I usually get between 55-60 people. I provide all the grillables (chicken and asst, sausages (NOT hot dogs!) and everyone else brings a dish. They have to call to sign up and about half way through, I start being a bit selective and coordinating things a bit. Who wants 15 deserts?

Getting ready for this takes a lot out of me. I start preparing a couple of weeks ahead. YES! Cleaning the house is a biggie, as I seldom do that unless I am having a Party, but also my Garden has to be all done and pretty. Lawn mowed and edged, etc. Then, setting up all the tables and chairs outside and making sure not even the toothpicks are forgotten. Begging and pleading for one or two Guy-members to come early (11AM) and do all the grilling for me. Lets face it. I go through about 30lbs of chicken parts and about 20 lbs of sausages. We start at 4PM. The chicken has to be all cleaned and in Zip-Loc bags. The night before, I make about a gallon of my marinade concoction and pour it into the bags with the chicken, saving some for basting.

In the kitchen, a desert table is set up and also a place for coffee with REAL coffee mugs. No Styrofoam cups at my house! The dining room table gets the extra leaf in it as it will be loaded with all kinds of food and dishes people bring. I get really pretty, summery napkins and good sturdy plates. As I said--EVERYTHING is set up just so. I am real anal when I put on a party, but I suppose that is why everyone thinks I am just the "Hostess with the mostest".
THEN--I just hope it does not rain!!!! Last year we rained out. All that outdoor prep for nothing. This has only happened twice in 11 years. Generally, this is a most pleasant, laid back affair. So everyone says-----if only they knew....

The way this Group operates, everyone brings a dish and also makes a small donation toward the Hostesses expenses and time. For the cookout, it is $7.

Then in October, I go through all this same stuff--just indoors--as I also hold the Group's Halloween Party. Get about 35 people for that. 11 years and going on that as well. Instead of grilling and all the outdoor stuff, I go all out and decorate the house, have costume judging and give prizes. I wear a costume myself as well, it just has to be "functional", as I am known to run around ragged to get all the last minute stuff to go off according to plan.

The second weekend in October (both days) I have also been doing face painting for a local Nursery here that holds a wonderful, community Oktoberfest Festival. It is the most awesome place and has the most awesome activities and decorations all geared to the kids and families. Luckily, it is only 5 minutes from my house. I have a girlfriend who helps me. We only charge $2 per face-painting. This should tell you how many kids we do in a weekend. We both clear over $300, and that is after out booth fee of $80 for the weekend. Once we sit down--we never get up! Parents and kids stand in line for 15-20 minutes just to get their faces painted.
I have been doing this for, maybe?, 15 years for the owner. Would I dare to NOT do it? NOPE! We have become an "institution" there. NO OTHER face painters are ever asked to participate. We are THAT good!

OK! I have a feeling I really digressed here. It is all your fault,Hart. You mentioned the Swap in June.......That got me going......Sorry!

OK! To make up for it I am going to post some pictures of these 2 events for you to see--just in case you thought ALL I do is garden and have knee replacements......:o)

This is "MOI" at my 2005 Halloween party. You all know I am a "clown" anyway, right? I made this outfit maybe 20 years ago.