Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Paperbark Maple or Korean Maple?, 1 by jugglerguy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jugglerguy

In reply to: Paperbark Maple or Korean Maple?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Paperbark Maple or Korean Maple?
jugglerguy wrote:
Thanks, David. I graduated from U of M, so I've spent a few years in Ann Arbor. I was more interested in Frank Allison and the Odd Sox than trees at the time.

After reading your post, I realize the spot I want to plant the tree isn't quite as protected from the wind and sun as it should be. It's full sun, and in the windiest spot in my yard, although not nearly as windy as a farm field would be. I might play it safe and just plant Acer pseudosieboldianum. I don't imagine an Acer griseum would look as good if it was dead.

I looked at the pictures of your yard and woods on GardenWeb earlier this winter and again just now. You have an unbelievably nice yard. My lot isn't as big, but is wooded behind and on the west side of the house. I recently converted my sideyard from grass to a shade/woodland garden, but I'm pretty ignorant about trees and shrubs. I planted an Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' as an understory tree, but I need some shrubs in the area too. There are some native Amelanchiers in the area. I'm having a tough time deciding what shrubs to plant that take shade, look somewhat natural (but not boring) and won't be devoured by the deer. I just read your post about shade tolerant viburnums and I think I'll try some of them. I'm thinking about planting an oakleaf hydrangea, but I don't know if it will survive this far north. Other hydrangeas that I've looked at just look to unnatural for this area, although I'm sure I haven't seen them all. Do you have any other suggestions for shrubs that would look good here?

Here's a link to some more pictures: http://homepage.mac.com/abramr/gardening/westsideyard/westsi...