Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: I had my Magnolia shoes on today..., 1 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: I had my Magnolia shoes on today...

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I had my Magnolia shoes on today...
ViburnumValley wrote:
Count on Maackia to have the fond memory (for a moment, I thought you'd been skulking around Creason Park).

Enough of those lousy deep pink devils. How about some more yellow?

Phil Savage was a great guy, and a greater plantsman. I had the incredible pleasure of meeting him, at his house, back in December 1991. What kind of idiot...wait, let me rephrase that for the benefit of all the wolverines, spartans, and other geese/ganders...who would by choice travel from KY to MI in winter to look at deciduous plants?

There were at least two of us, and we had a big old time in Phil's yard. I was still working where "money was no object" and Phil had trees he'd sell. We got to see the parents (or originals) of many of his fine introductions. He was so gracious to spend most of a day with a couple of goobers who were like kids in a candy shop.

To top it off, we spent the next brittle but bright day at Hidden Lake Gardens. Go figure.

Here is one of the late Mr. Savage's fine progeny: 'Butterflies', from a scanned slide. It blooms here with the PJM rhodos/azaleas, to fine effect.