Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: I had my Magnolia shoes on today..., 1 by david5311

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright david5311

In reply to: I had my Magnolia shoes on today...

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I had my Magnolia shoes on today...
david5311 wrote:
Well, I have probably not yet 'come out' on this forum in this department yet, but I am a big fan of the hybrid deciduous magnolias. Yes, they often get spoiled by frosts, yes, they sometimes go by way too fast if we go from winter to summer in a week (it happens...). But few plants can boast the kind of display these plants make. Give me a few hybrid magnolias over a tree peony or 10, any day (don't take it personal or nuthin'). They are a couple of weeks away here, especially that the weather is turning sharply colder tonight (82 here today, going down to a low of 30 tomorrow night. Too bad I don't live in Sanfrancisco...).

I somehow really have loved the yellows, all of them, from the pale primrose of Elizabeth to the more saturated yellow of Butterflies. I was lucky enough to be in woody plant heaven, the Philly area, 3 years ago in early April at the peak of the cherry and magnolia bloom. And they have quite a collection of yellows at the Scott Arboretum. And some incredible specimens around those parts.

So, even though not in bloom here yet, here is a picture I took at Chanticleer (a garden not to be missed...) of a large 'Elizabeth' in full bloom, underplanted with bicolor cream/primrose daffodills. Ooooh la la