Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Cottage Gardening for Hot Climates, 1 by DaleTheGardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DaleTheGardener

In reply to: Cottage Gardening for Hot Climates

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cottage Gardening for Hot Climates
DaleTheGardener wrote:
Pagancat, I was a resident of SF CA for 13 years and loved growing the SAfrican bulbs that come the Cape area. They don't grow here very well. My second season here I tried Fressia, Ixia, Sparaxis, Watsonia etc. What a disappointment!! By the time they bloom our night temps are in the 70's. Fressia bloomed for about 4 days and had no scent, they were under stress from the heat and the same for most of the other bulbs, except Watsonia. The watsonia grew fine, but, never flowered because our day are not long enough in the summer. I have been trying to find species that grow from eastern SAfrica northward. I am trying some of the summer growing kinds, from seed, right now. Hope this works out.

Thanks for the tip, I had forgotten about Jim Duggan, but I am sure that NCalifornia stock isn't gonna prosper here in the near tropical heat and humidity. I have moved my focus to http://mpeixoto.sites.uol.com.br/amaryl/fotoamaryl4.html and I am having good success.