Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ckk

Subject: New member

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New member
ckk wrote:
Hello all!

I've been using this web site for a couple of years, and realized as I was consulting it again and again before placing my perennial/herb plant orders for the spring, that I really should do my part to support this wonderful place! So, today I joined.

My primary gardening interests are herbs and perennials. When we moved here (in NH), my house was new construction, and previous experience at our old house told me that I really prefer perennial gardening. I have slowly built up my garden over the past six years, and I am now working on replacing some older died-out plants, and filling in around places that really need it. I live right next to a wetlands area, and our property is absolutely overrun with deer on a daily basis. In fact, I can look out my window on any given early morning (around 4am) and see 3 or 4 deer munching on my yews. Grrr! They are beautiful, but very destructive. I recently got a deer-repellant product from the local Fish and Game that seems to be working - it's an all-natural product made from bovine blood (!), that smells and looks awful, but both seem to fade after a couple of days. I'd be interested to hear others' experience with deer in the garden.

When I first planted my herb garden, I made the mistake of planting several mint plants right into the ground, so my herb garden anually runs amok with mint! Last year, my husband and I discovered mojitos, so we have found a great way to use all of that mint. :-) I have to admit that it also smells wonderful after mowing (as it now seems to be creeping into my grass!) I pull it up when it gets too aggressive, and the oregano growing alongside seems to adapt well to the company. Anyway, I plan to grow many of my new herbs in containers this year.

Here's to Spring!