Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: camillia cutting, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: camillia cutting

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of camillia cutting
Gitagal wrote:
Happy,

Earlier this year someone ID'd my Camellia. I jotted it down on a piece of paper and stuck it in my garden notes book. So, here is the name of it. It is called "Bob Hope". It was developed in the US in 1972 and is known as the darkest of all reds. It grows 6'-8' tall and wide.

I bought it at my HD about 7 or 8 years ago. It is truly hardy. It has large, shiny dark green leaves and these awesome, double flowers. My Camellia is between 4-5 feet tall and about 3 feet wide. I do not think it will grow much more, but who knows.
There are different Camellias sold at stores. At the time I bought mine, a customer (quite a horticulturist) told me to buy this one. he said: "Look at the leaves. They are bigger and dark green. This one will be hardy. He was so right.

The buds start forming in the Fall and sit on the bush all winter. Then about end of March/beg. of April, they start swelling and opening up. They always take my breath away!

I have it right next to my front steps. it never gets any sun, but is well protected from harsh winds as I have a Juniper on the other side of my steps and a substantial Yew on the other--right next to the camellia. It must like this spot!

Thanks for your kind words. Here's another picture from Spring, 2006. You can see the whole bush.

I should try some air-layering to propagate it, as that is supposed to be the best way.

Gita