Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: camillia cutting, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: camillia cutting

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of camillia cutting
Gitagal wrote:
I was just going to post a question about propagating my Camelia from a cutting.

A bit of history......I tried the cuttings in a flat covered with plastic last Spring. I was then communicating with a Mike and following his instructions. Well, they all rotted out.

Later in the year, I took a couple of cuttings and simply stuck them in water. They have survived all year and, even though they have not made ANY roots at all, have stayed viable and have some new bud growth. Other than that, there has been NO signs of rooting at all.

Today (3/6) I decided to put these cuttings in moist "Jiffy Mix" in 4" pots and a cut off water bottle over the pot, cap removed for air circulation. I will keep these 2 pots on a shelf near an Eastern exposure.
Do you think I have a chance of these growing any roots after all this time in water??? The Camelia I have is a double red (can't think of the name right now...). It blooms beautifully in late march/early April.

Any help or advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Gita