Photo by Melody

Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses: Lycopodium obscurum, Ground Pine, 1 by JerryCopeland

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright JerryCopeland

In reply to: Lycopodium obscurum, Ground Pine

Forum: Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Lycopodium obscurum, Ground Pine
JerryCopeland wrote:
Ah Yes!!! Lycopodiums are my favorite plants followed closely by Selaginella and then the mosses!!
I have been fortunate enough to have obtained some L. obscurum and am currently growing some in pots. I am experimenting with it and have just a few days ago repotted one plant into a shallower plastic container that held Las Palmas taco meat filling. Here is an image of the roots or rather rhizomes.
I really am shooting in the dark on growing the lycopodiums as I have no idea how these species, apart from Lycopodiella inundata, grows and am wondering about the kind of soil, the depth of the rhizomes, etc. My only source is the Root Book by Ms. Carl Phillips-if only I can find where I put it!!!
So with my experiments I am guessing more towards a growing media that is shallow, well draining, stays moist not wet, and is basically humus. I am using a blend of cypress mulch and maple leaves in my latest experiment.