Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: By special request (part 2), 1 by wallaby1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wallaby1

In reply to: By special request (part 2)

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of By special request (part 2)
wallaby1 wrote:
They die back after frosts and I end up with some dead stems, they're not quite like the hybrid ones which can go soggy, they tend to dry and are thinner. I have taken some off but still some to do, it's just a matter of breaking them off.

beaker is correct, I would leave them a while and see where they grow from, it depends what plants they are, some may regrow from the stems, some from the base or roots.

It's my pleasure pmulcaire!

Some ground cover, Delosperma ecklonis var. latifolia I have on the bank near the house, where there is a path and the fuchsias next to the house, this is on the other side of the path where the bank is not very deep and disappears next to the side door. These are supposed to do well on a dry sunnybank, and are supposed to be a little tender but mine always regrow however bad a winter we get, they may benefit from the closeness to the wall but they do set seed as well as grow from the old stems. This was in June 05, on the corner where it gets less sun and stays more moist, I find they do best when kept moist, it was colder than the norm then. Last year they did increase better over the drier parts but then I didn't have a mole digging them up quite so often, too dry for worms!