Fruits and Nuts: Avocados, 1 by DevilDogs

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DevilDogs

In reply to: Avocados

Forum: Fruits and Nuts

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Avocados
DevilDogs wrote:
I started these 5 last summer from seed when we put our house on the market in California. They were from my neighbor's 40ft tree and the fruit is so good that I can't eat store bought avocado anymore so I had to bring them with us when we moved. Just soaked the seeds in water overnight then stuck them in the pot and all 5 took. I have a 6th one in another pot and a 7th one still sitting in a pot of dirt that never sprouted and just have never thrown it away (yes, I moved it across country with me just in hopes it would eventually sprout). Anyway, these 5 are now almost 3 feet tall. I never pinched them back or cut any off, just let them grow. I have not fertilized them. I've just let them be as they seem happy enough and water them when they look about to wilt. I know I need to transplant them to their own pots but have no clue when the best time to do so would be or the best way. Someone told me to use B6 or B12 or B-something to prevent shock. I'm terrified to mess with my "watchful ignore" that seems to be working OK. Any advice/suggestions?

Flyboy, I was told by several people who laughed at me trying to take my Cali avocado with me that it would take several years to fruit, if ever and that I had to have two plants for fruit. I also have about 10 orange plants planted at the same time that haven't grown more than 6-8 inches. Think I need to transplant those too.
Kristen