European Gardening: MY GARDEN ON THE OUTER HEBRIDES, 1 by bruntongardens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bruntongardens

In reply to: MY GARDEN ON THE OUTER HEBRIDES

Forum: European Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of MY GARDEN ON THE OUTER HEBRIDES
bruntongardens wrote:
Hi Resin, what a small world, i was born in Northumberland, and lived at shiremoor fo many years, then went to live at Bellingham near Kielder for 20 years where i won gardener of the year award, after winning the award, we wanted a bigger garden, and after a year of searching we came to live here. Don't tell us about the Gail's as we had our roof blown off two years ago by a hurricane, 140mile winds, it closed the whole Island down, and sadly killed 5 people, you might have seen it on tv,we had to rebuild our garden as a lot of the features were flattened,there was a shortage of food on the Island as the ferry could not get in or out, and we did not have any power fo about three or four days, and the only main road on the island to the town was blocked by fallen trees, and remnants of roofs and buildings, it is a time that we will never forget in our life times. How the heck tornado Island in America can put up with constant tornadoes, makes me shudder, hopefully we never see it again, 70 and 80 mile winds are quite natural for here, from autumn until may. and one or two in the summer.
Although we enjoy our life here, i must admit, i miss the folks of Northumberland, real nice people. Nice to speak to a fellow Northumbrian after so many years, you take care of yourself, and kindest wishes to all of you, regards Peter and Mary-Anne.
Its definitely not easy being a gardener here, but its still worth while for us, its a real challenge!
Here is a photo from the bottom of our garden of the village where i live, as you can tell, not many people garden here, LOL hope to speak to you again