Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Delphinium Blues, 1 by AddieOtto

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AddieOtto

Subject: Delphinium Blues

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Delphinium Blues
AddieOtto wrote:
I need some help with Delphiniums. For two years in a row I have purchased delphinium plants in spring and for two years in a row I have watched them slowly die as the summer goes on. I have tried multiple plants in multiple locations... some with more sun, some with less and no matter where I place them - same result. Dead. I have tried Delphinium Blue Butterfly and some Delphinium Belladonna cultivar(s).

None of this would be a problem, after all I kill plants all the time, if it wasn't for the fact that blue delphiniums make me swoon! The first time I saw a massive planting of them in brilliant bloom it took me the rest of the afternoon to re attach my jaw that had hit the floor.

So now I am determined.... no matter how many plants I kill to get there... to grow brilliant blue, light and airy delphiniums.

My situation is:

1) I am in zone 6a with blistering hot and humid summers. Even full sun plants often don't enjoy the summer. I have many sunny, shady and partly shady/sunny areas where I could site these plants.

2) I have super sandy soil. I'm talking beach sand. I amend but obviously that might still be a problem as everything can drain away so easily, even the amendments.

3) I feed with slow release fertilizer (pellets) because of the sandy soil. I've read that delphiniums are heavy feeders so that also might be a problem. Perhaps there's not enough food there for them. Or maybe the wrong kind.

4) Most of the property has hosta gardens and acid loving plants, all of which do quite well. Although I haven't had my sand.. uh, I mean soil, tested, I am thinking it might lean a wee bit more to the acidic side in general.

Most of my plants in the sunnier spots of the sandy yard are purchased with some semblence of intelligence i.e. drought tolerant. So, despite the fact that I obviously don't have what it takes - either in skill or natural resources - to grow delphiniums, is there anyone who can help me with some success stories? What is the magic pixie dust recipe that will make these darn things grow? I'm willing to try anything... at least anything legal...

Photo is of one of my brilliant blues prior to flatlining. If anything, this whole experience just reinforces why I should stick to hosta but I refuse to learn my lesson :-(

This is my first time posting over here so "hi" to all. I usually hang out in the hosta section :-)

Sue