Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Northeast Gardening: shrubs for winter color, 1 by sempervirens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sempervirens

In reply to: shrubs for winter color

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of shrubs for winter color
sempervirens wrote:
Hi Dottie,
I like to use native plants when possible so my suggestions for evergreens would be 2 native hollies, Ilex glabra (inkberry) and Ilex opaca. The inkberry is very versatile because it is available in smaller more compact cultivars and the larger looser species. It can be trimed easily and the smaller varieties are similar in appearance to boxwood, zones(4)5-9, sun to part sun, wet to moderately dry, 3-6 ft. ( I was unsuccessful growing this along the sidewalk strip-road salt, maybe too open and dry at times- but a few feet back it did well). The opaca (American Holly), zone (4)5-9, sun to light shade, moist acidic, 15 -40 ft. is similar to English holly but has a dull matte leaf. If you want color and berries I'd suggest Rosa virginiana, the newer canes are red, small red rose hips "berries" persist through most of the winter and June brings fragrant pink roses. I like using the book "Native Trees,Shrubs & Vines", William Cullina.