Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: flowering today, 1 by ferrymead

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ferrymead

In reply to: flowering today

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of flowering today
ferrymead wrote:
You surprise me saying you get frosts in Brisbane, I would not have thought that. We get frosts for about 3 months of our winter time, with the odd ones coming too early and some coming really late. I have planted a bouganvillea that is really struggling, I wrapped it in frost cloth the first winter and it managed to get through fine. Last winter I thought it might be strong enough to manage on its own but it just had bare branches all through Spring and it has jus decided to put out a few leaves. So it will have to go back into wraps next winter.

The chrissies drop seed and new plants pop up around the parent plant. I take these and replant and they have done very well.. Here is a photo if the pink one in the front border.

How are the drought conditions in Aussie affecting you, are you restricted in garden watering or do you have your own well perhaps. Last summer N.z's storage lakes were very low and our cities own water starage dam was so low that we were only allowed to water with a hand hald hose on only two days a week and only on productive gardens. The city council when queried said that meant only vegetable gardens but they nemver advertised that this only applied to vegetable gardens and we keen flowere gardeners argued that our gardens were producing flowers.