Palms and Cycads: The Big Freeze of '07, 1 by FondOfFronds

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright FondOfFronds

In reply to: The Big Freeze of '07

Forum: Palms and Cycads

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The Big Freeze of '07
FondOfFronds wrote:
Wow, my gf and her brother went to some nurseries in Fallbrook today and saw incredible plant damage, not only to palms but all kinds of plantlife. Avocado trees had turned brown with some leaves turning black. Small avocado trees for sale were covered with icicles and had fallen off and partly melted. The nursery owners had tried to save the trees by spraying them with water but it was so cold the water froze and turned to ice and destroyed the little trees... Tomato plants at home depot had turned black... All over the area there are nurseries that seem to have had incredible loss. On their way back on 76 there were a bunch of palms that had turned brown in Jeffries Ranch Oceanside.

I guess we'll see how this pans out as the week progresses, but thank god I've got my pool, it's 79F right now and I'm going to keep it like that no matter what my SDGE bill will be. I'll bet it's already in the 5-600 buck range and climbing. But I don't want to lose my foxtail and I want to be as nice to that freshly-planted Kentia as I can be. Thanks osideterry for calling me on Saturday night and insisting I turn on my pool heater. I just wish it had worked for you...