Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Hanging Baskets and Window Boxes, 1 by Illoquin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Illoquin

In reply to: Hanging Baskets and Window Boxes

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hanging Baskets and Window Boxes
Illoquin wrote:
Your half baskets sound wonderful! Why don't you look for drought resistant plants? Nasturtiums and Melampodium are two, but there are a lot I've seen because I want to be careful not to put somehting that needs a lot of water with something that doesn't in my baskets (which are actually not baskets at all, but window boxes/wire planters and just regular pots.

At http://www.tinyseeds.com they have a "Terriffic Trailers" mix. (I am attaching a picture of the seed pack) The seeds are from Botanical Interests and it looks like they are 20% off.

Anyway, you have to buy the pack to find out what's in it (which I did - it's printed on the INSIDE of the package!) and here's what the flowers are from 12:00 clockwise:

Moss Verbena - Verbena tenuisecta
Nolana paradoxa "Blue Bird" - 63% of the package is this one flower.
Creeping gypsophila - gypsophila repens (perennial!)
Lobelia Cascade Mix Colors -- Lobelia pendula which could be red, I think, as well as blue. Sort of takes away from it.
Creeping Zinnia - Sanvitalia procumbens or something like that
Maiden Pinks- Dianthus deltoides (perennial!)
Swan River Daisy - brachyscomb iberidifolia

Anyway, I thought it was real pretty and am going to put these seeds around the edge with a _________ or two or three in the middle or the back. LOL! Not sure what is in the blank, though. Marigold? Zinnia? Nasturtium? Bachelor Buttons? Aaaack! I have no idea!

I don't have a railing but I could hang 3 baskets on my front porch. BUT I don't like to water baskets in the front porch because it's too hard to haul the hose there and i end up having to do it with a lemonade pitcher. Actually I end up forgetting to do it and everything fries.

Did you get any idea of how long the dichondra takes to get to the size where you could put it in the basket and have it fend for itself? (From seed, I mean)

Suzy

This message was edited Jan 12, 2007 3:13 AM