Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Springtime in December, 1 by YangMetalRat

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright YangMetalRat

In reply to: Springtime in December

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Springtime in December
YangMetalRat wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, ladygardener. I am waiting for your snow!

And since you asked about pictures ... do I ever have pictures! I will post a few with explanations. I bought my house in June '05 and spent the first couple of months painting & unpacking &c. so all I did in the garden was learn how to use a lawnmower. That REALLY stank and I decided to totally change the landscaping and make my 100' x 25' downtown garden into a "looking garden" - everywhere you look there's something really cool going on. So most of fall '05 & winter '06 I would go outside and stare at spaces and dimensions and measure things with my feet and walk around in circles (my neighbors probably thought I was nutty - they're right, of course!). In the spring I bought a mattock and a shovel and went to work. I don't know what was harder - removing 5 huge clumps of pampas grass or taking out the lawn. The fact that I became obsessed with picking out broken glass and pottery and china and clay marbles and square nails and coins and toy soldiers didn't speed things up at all - I now have buckets full of "artifacts".

So the first picture is from Sept. '05 - one of my "before" pictures.