Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Sandersonia, 1 by ferrymead

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ferrymead

In reply to: Sandersonia

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Sandersonia
ferrymead wrote:
Echoes, well, l have written something for the plant files site, will have to see if it is posted. Couldn't see where to post any photos though.

Hi Grammy, we no longer grow flowers for the export or local markets. Since selling the business three years ago, we have downsized to just my husband and I.

We now lease land on which we size up Calla tubers from tissue culture that we buy in. Grow them on for a season, plant them in October and start harvesting them in mid May or beginning of June, depending on whether the leaves have died off.

We still grow these for our exporters and sell them ourselves only locally. You might like to have a look at our website to see the photos of the cplours of Calla lily tubers we grow.
I only work during the planting, harvesting and post harvest months May to end of October, so for seven months I am able to do my own thing and enjoy having time to visit Dave's Garden. So interesting and so many great people on the sites.

http://www.calla.net.nz

If you google it, should come up under - calla lily tubers from mew zealand excelgro tubers and funnily enough, it comes up showing a hyperlink from Daves Garden from when I posted the link in on another forum some time ago.

When we first became flower growers we had the following flowers, Oriental lilies, Casablanca and a pink variety, Asiatic lilies, Ragale lilies and Freesias. We were tigers for punishment as they were all labor intensive. Lol. We kept a few of each of these bulbs and now have them in our little home garden, I can enjoy their blooms but really enjoy not having to do any thiing to them except admire the flowers.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2007 9:16 PM