Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Gardening with the weather., 1 by ferrymead

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ferrymead

In reply to: Gardening with the weather.

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Gardening with the weather.
ferrymead wrote:
HI 77sunset and Tropcal3. We have liven in Nelson for over thirty years but three years ago moved from a 10 acre country block into town on a new section. The country block was full of stones and in my home garden I could never get a shovel in more than three inches deep because of the stony ground, one had to grub out he stones before one could plant anything.

It was heaven to work on ordinary soil here in town. Our street is in a new subdivision, set on old orchard paddocks so it is a bit of a mission to get rid of the docks and mallow, thistles and twitch grass but I think they have been conquered.

So nice to see the photos you have posted and read what you have done. Such lush growth 77 and that is a lovely bottle brush Tropical.

I have roses, lilies, peonies, perennials and annuals. As it is a small section with restrictions on the height of trees we can have here, we had to be careful about the trees we could plant. Have three robinia trees - two mop tops and a Lace lady, 2 small growing maples, a Michaelia and one flowering cherry. We have a couple of raised vegetable beds, spuds, tomatoes, watermelon, lettuce, silver and red beet and radishes.

This photo is of our front border, it looks very colourful but I will have to do a bit of changing the position of some of the periennials as I ended up putting taller growing plants in front of smaller ones. Lol

Envious of the drip irrigation already installed, it is on our list of must do's!