Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Perennials: What Poppies Will You Grow This Year?, 1 by mulchmania

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mulchmania

In reply to: What Poppies Will You Grow This Year?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What Poppies Will You Grow This Year?
mulchmania wrote:
Balvenie, I just go out at dawn every morning and roam around in my gardens photographing poppies until the light moves past that glorious early a.m. look.

I have no luck at all with cut flowers, can't seem to get the stems singed or whatever correctly. Seeds I only managed to figure out how to collect this past summer with our awful winds. I have relied on self seeding in my permanent mulch system.

But I have over 40,000 flower photos in my archives and a vast number of them are poppies. The gardens are laid out and planted specifically for the light I like at dawn. The big round garden is my favorite because it has the best selection of shirleys in it and the ring shaped rows allow me all different angles on the flowers when shooting.

I had some white soms, may still have an occasional one out there, and they are pristine. But I like the petal shapes and shadows in the white shirleys better for my artwork so I cleared most of the white soms out. They would look lovely with your purples though.

Here are a couple of pink ones I photographed.