Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: So you want to transplant that shrub?, 1 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: So you want to transplant that shrub?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of So you want to transplant that shrub?
ViburnumValley wrote:
So, into the fray. Posting photos for me is a labor of love; you will just have to tolerate how slow and deliberate this is from a dialup system. In reviewing, I find I don't have a shot of everything that I want to describe, but enough to get the point across. Anyone who wants to participate in the next digging extravaganza can come prepared to photodocument the process.

First picture shows a young viburnum, tied up to avoid breaking branches and facilitate digging around it. A scrupulous plantsman will tie up those plants nearby as well. Note that I did not.

I am beginning the digging procedure by "cutting in" the final size of the rootball on this young plant. The minimum size of a rootball is prescribed by common nurseryman standards, available from the ANLA. These are probably online somewhere, too. Why, here they are:

http://www.anla.org/applications/Documents/Docs/ANLAStandard...

You can always dig a bigger ball, taking more roots with you. This is only limited by the quantity/density of roots and how much they hold the soil ball together. Experience will show you how far you can push this envelope. If the soil falls away, then reduce the ball size or bundle the loose roots in with the ball you finish.

"Cutting in" begins with pushing your spade or shovel into the soil around the plant in a full circle, no smaller than the size ball you wish to finish with. As you withdraw the spade, notice if the soil is pulling up. You don't want to excessively loosen the soil of the finished rootball, because it will be less stable to handle and you are probably breaking roots. This process is learned with experience. Placing your foot against the blade as you withdraw the spade can hold the soil in place as you perform the first round of cutting in.

Edited to add the hyperlink to ANLA standards.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2006 8:40 PM