Photo by Melody

Perennials: What Poppies Will You Grow This Year?, 1 by mulchmania

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mulchmania

In reply to: What Poppies Will You Grow This Year?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What Poppies Will You Grow This Year?
mulchmania wrote:
LC2, glad you like my painting, but I don't own that one anymore, they tend to find homes and move out the door. It was in the Yellowstone Art Museum for their winter show that year.

If you walked into our gallery we would not ignore you! We are not pushy, we just like to have fun with our clientele, many of whom end up being personal friends also. Quite enjoyable that way.

I envy the fact you have poppies coming up already, it is cold and a long way off here. The goldfinches here concentrate on my sunflowers. I have quite a large migratory flock that targets my garden now, which I like.

I finally figured out how to save some seeds from my shirley poppies last summer. It is so windy here if you let them fully ripen they have all blown away before you can harvest them. I resorted to collecting them just slightly green before the slits in the caps had sent them flying all over. I have not tested germination yet, but I think they will grow well as they were not all that green. If you want some, dmail me. The seeds I saved were from my favorite poppy garden, the big round one. Those mostly have picotee edges or have white centers blending out to brightly colored edges.