Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Hellebouris seed?, 1 by wallaby1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wallaby1

In reply to: Hellebouris seed?

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hellebouris seed?
wallaby1 wrote:
I sow fesh seed in July to August, it doesn't matter if you don't get them sown for a month or so after collecting. This year was very hot and the seed was ready earlier, at least the end of June. I haven't sown any this year, I did a swap.

Two years ago in August I sowed some from a mix of Queen of the Night, a white with heavy maroon spots Ashwood Gardens Hybrid, and one I got from my local garden centre labelled H. orientalis 'Red Shades' which is very robust.

The seeds should be left quite dry until the autumn, then when they are wetted they should remain wet easily. I grow mine in a cold greenhouse and I think some extra summer heat does them good rather than harm, my greenhouse does get some shade. Use a very free draining compost with leaf compost if you have it, sow the seeds with just a light covering of compost. Mine germinate from late December in mild spells.

This is one I sowed in August 2004, making flowers within 2 years of germination. I also have some white ones which should have spots, most likely from the Ashwood hybrid. I grew some from the Ashwood hybrid a few years ago and they took 3 to 4 years to flower, I am assuming the robust 'Red Shades' has influenced early flowering. I have heard of some of these new robust helleborus flowering early, this must be one of them.